OST and PST both are used in MS Outlook where OST stands for Offline Storage Table and PST for Personal Storage Table. As the name defines that OST, is an offline folder which is used to save the exchange server data. You can use OST file, when you are not connected with the server. Whereas, PST files are used to store the email data in a system such as calendar, contacts, notes, tasks, etc. The main difference between the PST files is used for “actual” storage and OST files are used for “cached” storage.
Why you need to convert outlook OST to PST?
There are many reason behind OST to PST migration, but the below points are important.
- If any data lost or accidentally deleted in the Exchange Server, so it can be repaired by converting files from OST to PST format.
- When the MS Exchange server crashed due to any fault such as software failure, power failure, virus attacks, etc. Then, it is a good idea to move files from OST to PST.
- In order to access the mail items at the time of Exchange Server maintenance. That time you are unable to access the mailbox hence you need to export OST files into PST and import it to MS Outlook application.
Learn how to migrate OST files into PST manually. Follow any of the method to move files.
Method 1: Exporting: This method helps you to export files from OST to PST as well as save data into CSV and Excel format. Follow the below steps to export the OST files into PST.
Step 1: First open the MS Outlook on your system.
Step 2: Click on File tab. Select the “Import and Export” wizard or press ‘t’.
Step 3: Click on the “Export to a file” from the list and then click on the Next button.
Step 4: Then, select Personal File Folder (.pst) and again, click on Next button.
Step 5: Click on the parent root and check the Include sub-folders option. After that, browse and select the target folder. Click the Finish button.
Note: This method only useful, if user is connected with the MS Exchange Server
Method 2: Archiving: Archiving is used to move data to mailbox items to a PST file. Follow the below manual steps.
Step 1: First open MS Outlook.
Step 2: Click on File -> Archive.
Step 3: Now, choose the file or folder, which you want to archive.
Step 4: Browse the location to store the archived file in PST.
Step 5: Click Finish.
Note: With the help of this process you can migrate all OST data except Contacts.
Method 3: Move items to new PST file
This method is used to move mailbox items of OST file into a new PST file.
Step 1: Open the MS Outlook.
Step 2: Create a new PST file in your Outlook Profile.
Step 3: Then, drag all the mailbox folders which you want to move in the PST file.
Note: You cannot drag Inbox, Contacts, etc. default folder into a PST file. So, just copy the folder from OST to PST.
There is one alternative way of this manual procedure, i.e you can use any OST to PST converter to move the files safely from OST to PST. Such software is very easy to use as well as migrate your OST files into many other file formats such as MSG, DBX, EML, MBOX, etc. Here, are some important features of OST to PST converter:
- Handles alignment errors in OST files
- Executes recovery in three different modes- standard, advanced and deep mode
- Handle alignment errors in PST
- Saves and loads snapshot of OST recovery
- Save files into multiple formats
- Compatible with all version of MS Outlook
Download the free demo version of OST to PST Converter: