DBF stands for dBase (database) file which stores all dBase and Visual FoxPro files. DBF file organize the data into multiple records in an array data type. This file affixed with the .dbf extension and compatible with other xBase (database management application).
While running a DBF file corruption is a common issue and to repair the DBF file you need to perform some recovery task. Before going to the recovery process, let we discuss about the some common error messages.
Note: DBF files can also be opened by Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.
What are the most common error messages in DBF files?
- “ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver] File ‘table.dbf’ does not exist”.
- “Error instantiating cursor objects. Could not find (table file name)”.
- “Table dBase not correct”.
- “Memo File is Missing/Invalid”.
- Invalid database – please validate database”.
- “Filename.dbf has become corrupted”.
- “Table has become corrupted. The table will need to be repaired before using again.”
- “Error 1103 or Invalid Seek Offset (ISO) error”.
What are the main reasons which corrupt your DBF files?
- Improper system shutdowns
- Virus or malware attacks
- Unknown issues occur in the database program
- Software confliction
- Old version of DBF application
- Hard disk failure, etc.
What precautions need to take to avoid the DBF corruption?
- Delete unnecessary and non-important files on regular bases to create an enough space in the storage.
- Always take a backup of important DBF file(s).
- Save file properly before closing the DBF file.
How to repair corrupted DBF file?
Follow the below steps and repair highly corrupted DBF file(s):
Step 1: Install and run the DBF Recovery Tool. (Use Free demo first)
Step 2: Choose all files which you want to repair and click Open.
Mark the checkbox of Load Schema if you want to load the schema from another DBF file and click Next.
Step 3: After the above step, the recovery process start and completed within a few seconds.
Step 4: Now select the path to store the file and also, select the file format in which you want to store your repaired data i.e either Save as DBF or Save as MDB. Click on Save button to save the data.
Step 5: Once the saving process completed, a “Saving process completed” messages appeared. Click on Close button.
Some important key features of DBF Recovery Tool:
- Quick, easy and most important affordable DBF recovery solution.
- Save repaired files into two file formats i.e DBF and MDB.
- Supports all important DBF formats such as dBase III, IV, V, Visual FoxPro, Clipper, dBFast, CodeBase, MultiBase, dBXL, and Arago.
- Recover structure of table, fields and data from corrupt database files without affecting their originality.
- Advanced search functionality.
- Support all major versions of MS Visual FoxPro ( FoxBASE).
I hope this post helps you to repair your corrupted DBF files. Also, don’t forget to ping me if you have an issue in any point of the recovery.