Operating system is a program which is used, manages any digital device’s hardware and software resources. There are number of OS developed such as MS Windows, Macintosh, Android, etc. Microsoft first introduced Windows 1.0 operating system in 1985 and after that it has developed series of operating systems. Here, I have shared an inforgraphic that will tell you the history of MS Windows operating system from Windows 1.0 to Windows 10.
MS Windows 1.0, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04 & 2.x (2.03, 2.10, 2.11)
- MS Windows 1.0 released in 20 November 1985.
- MS Windows 2.0 released in 9 December 1987.
- Very poor sales.
- First Control panel introduced in MS Windows 2.0 version.
- Both were graphical extensions of MS DOS
MS Windows 3.x (3.0, 3.1) and NT 3.x (3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3. 51)
- MS Windows 3.0 released in 22 May 1990.
- Introduced after Microsoft & IBM had “Falling Out” OS.
- Increased support for multimedia and networking applications.
- Version 3.0 was first version of MS OS that supports TrueType scalable fonts.
- 32-bit API first released in Windows NT 3.x.
MS Windows 95
- Released in 24 August 1995.
- Plug and Play support, built-in Internet support, etc. first introduced in this version.
- First version that uses FAT32 file system.
- Start menu and Taskbar first introduced in Windows 95.
MS Windows 98
- Released in 25 June 1998.
- Last version of Windows OS that based on MS-DOS.
- Universal serial bus (USB) devices and DVDs, first introduced in this version.
- Internet Explorer first integrated on this version.
MS Windows 2000
- Released on 17 February 2000.
- Introduced wireless products.
MS Windows ME (Millennium Edition)
- Released in 14 September 2000.
- First version of Windows that include System Restore feature.
- Included Media Player 7, Movie Maker, Movie Creation Program, etc.
- Last version of Windows that based on Windows 95 code base.
MS Windows XP & XP Professional
- Windows XP released in 25 October 2001.
- Windows XP Professional x64 released in 25 April 2005.
- First version that support File System Encryption, Remote Desktop Services, Remote Assistance, Wireless 802.1x devices.
- Included 64-bit edition for 64-bit processors.
MS Windows Vista
- Released in 30 January 2007.
- Introduced an advanced security and data protection features.
- Redesigned GUI to speed up system speed and look sleeker.
MS Windows 7
- Released in 22 October 2009.
- Introduced multi-touch feature.
- Improved Windows management and booting system.
MS Windows 8 and 8.1
- Windows 8 released in 26 October 2012.
- Windows 8.1 released in 17 October 2013.
- A new style interface for use with touchscreen.
- Support devices running on ARM architecture.
MS Windows 10
- Released in 29 July 2015.
- New browser, code-named Spartan.
- One Windows for all devices.
Read More here about Microsoft Windows Management:
- 6 Important Points That Will Helps You To Speed Up Windows 10