Outlook is an email client introduced by Microsoft. MS Outlook contains different data files such as PST and OST. Outlook PST file is used to store Outlook mailbox items such as contacts, notes, journals, calendars, etc. in a hard disk of computer. In MS Outlook, users can easily create a multiple profiles and stores PST files.
The older edition of MS Outlook created issues of data corruption and data loss; if the file size was enlarge and to avoid such issues users preferred to create many archive files in MS Outlook. But, there is no such size issue in the new editions of MS Outlook such as 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016. Hence, many of the users ask for the merging techniques of PST because it will help users to protect the data and decrease the chances of data loss or data corruption. There are many merging solutions such as manual tricks or third party software.
How to reconnect the archive files with the other PST files?
The re-connection of archive files and PST files are very easy. You just need to follow the given steps to view and access the content of archive files.
- Go to File, here click on Open
- Then, click on Outlook Data File
Why merging of archive and other PST files are important?
- To speed up the searching and retrieving process.
- To manage all archive files easily.
- For collecting all PST files from different places.
- To switch all PST files in a new Outlook version.
- To increase the free space because this process will delete the duplicate data.
How to merge the archive or other PST files?
Method 1: By using Import option:
In this process, you can directly use the Import option or import the archives into new PST file. Before using this method keep these points on mind:
- Take a backup of original PST files data.
- Scan all PST files with ScanPST.exe to protect it from hang or delay.
- Select the destination place in the Master archive.
Find the location of Import option in Outlook:
- In Outlook 2013: Go to File -> Open & Export -> Import/Export
- In Outlook 2010: Go to File -> Open -> Import
- In Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007: Go to File -> Import and Export
Follow the steps to create a single PST in MS Outlook 2010 and import data files.
Step 1: Create a new PST file for that first open the MS Outlook Application and click on New Items. From the drop-down menu select More Items and then Outlook Data File.
Step 2: Browse the location to save the PST file. Enter file name and click OK button.
Step 3: Click on File -> Open -> Import.
Step 4: A new “Import and Export Wizard” will open. Under Choose an action to perform, select “Import from another program or file” and click on Next button.
Step 5: Select “Outlook Data File (.pst)” under Select file type to import from and click Next button.
Step 6: Now, Click on Browse and select the file to import. Choose “Do not import duplicates” from the options and click on Next.
Step 7: Select the folder to import from and check the box Include subfolders. And, choose Import items into the same folder in and click Finish.
To combine such PST files in a single file, repeat the same steps for all.
Method 2: By creating master archive file
With the help of this method you can easily merge archive as well as PST files together.
Step 1: Create a new PST file that is a Mater Archive. For that, follow the steps below.
- In Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010: Go to File -> Account Settings -> Account Settings -> Data Files
- In Outlook 2007 and older versions: Go to File -> New -> Outlook data file
Step 2: Browse the location and enter new name for the Master archive file.
Step 3: Click File -> Open -> Outlook Data File, to connect old archive to Outlook. (If it is not connected yet)
Step 4: Copy the content from original archive to new Master Archive.
Note: Switch to List View via View menu or View tab to move Calendar items easily.
Step 5: After this copying process, disconnect the original archives.
- In Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010: Go to File -> Account Settings -> Account Settings -> Data Files.
- In Outlook 2003 and 2007: Go to File -> Data File Management.
Note: You can save a new Master Archive file in a default archiving location by following step.
- In Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010: Go to File -> Options -> Advanced and select AutoArchive Settings.
- In Outlook 2003 and 2007: Go to Tools -> Options -> Other and select AutoArchive Settings.
There are some limitations of manual procedure and hence professional always suggested to use any third party tool. Some are the important points are mentioned below.
Manual PST Merge Process Vs Third Party PST Merger:
Manual Process: It is a slow merging solution because you need to move or import PST files and hence, it will consume you lots of time. This process may corrupt or lose your data while moving files from one place to another.
Third Party PST Merger: It gives you very quick solution to merge any size of PST files. It helps you to merge PST files securely and run perfectly on all MS Outlook versions.
It is very clear that professional PST Merger tool is more reliable and provides the satisfactory result as compared to the manual solution. PST merge tool provides quick, easy and secure way to merge multiple PST files into single PST file. Know here how Outlook PST Merge Tool perform task and merge all PST files quickly.
Step 1: Download the PST Merge Tool in your system and run it.
Step 2: Click Add PST Files and select all PST files which you want to merge in a single file. Click Open.
Step 3: Select any options from Join PST Files, Merge PST Files and Merge Contacts. Check Exclude deleted items.
Step 4: Browse location and check Add new PST file to Outlook profile. Enter file name and click Next.
Note: You can apply password on new created PST file by using Applying Password option.
Step 5: Wait till the merging process completed.
To know more about this given tool download the free demo version and run on your system.